Photo of Sugarbush Resort by Robbie Shade. CC BY 2.0.
Whether your passion is alpine or cross-country skiing, Montpelier is conveniently located within an hour of some of the east coast's best venues. Make Montpelier your base camp for epic winter adventures. Here is a list of ski venues with approximate driving time from downtown Montpelier:
- ✳ Hubbard Park: Cross Country skiing and snowshoeing. <3 Minutes. 400 Parkway St, Montpelier, VT 05602, 802-223-7335
- Bolton Valley Resort: Where the locals go for affordable skiing and riding. Downhill, cross country, snowboard, snowshoe, night skiing. 30 minutes. 4032 Bolton Valley Access Road, Bolton Valley, VT 05477, 802-434-3444
- Cochran’s Ski Area: Famous for being the training grounds for the Cochran family of Olympians. Affordable skiing and snowboarding, lessons, and race training, including night skiing. 30 minutes. 910 Cochran Road, Richmond, VT 05477, 802-434-2479
- Trapp Family Lodge: The hills are indeed alive! The oldest cross-country ski center in the country! Cross Country, backcountry skiing, snowshoe. 35 minutes. 700 Trapp Hill Road, Stowe, VT 05672, 802-760-6325
- Mad River Glen: "Ski it if You Can" is the tagline at this resort known for challenging terrain and traditional skiing, with the nation's only single chairlift. Downhill, telemark, no snowboards. 40 minutes. 57 Schuss Pass, Waitsfield, VT 05673, 802-496-3561
- Stowe Mountain Resort: The highest peak in Vermont offers a taste of luxury. Downhill, cross country, snowshoe, snowboard, adaptive sport skiing. 40 minutes. 7416 Mountain Road, Stowe, VT 05672, 802-253-3000
- Sugarbush Resort: Sugarbush brings some of the flavor of western skiing to the East. 111 trails over two mountains. Downhill, snowboarding, snowshoeing. 40 minutes. 102 Forest Drive, Warren, VT 05674, 802-583-6725
- Northeast Slopes: Established in 1950 with rope tow, T-bar and gentle slopes for beginners and kids. Ski and snowboard. No rentals.
40 minutes. 10397 Rte. 25, East Corinth, VT 05040
- Blueberry Lake Cross-Country Ski Center: Beautify open meadow trails along with wooded trails. 35K of trails total. Skiing, snowshoeing, skating. 40 minutes. 424 Robinson Road, Warren, VT 05674, 802-496-6687
- Ole’s Cross Country Center: 30 miles of skiing with exceptional views at a 1,500 foot high plateau. Cross country, snowshoeing. 40 minutes. 2355 Airport Road, Warren, VT 05674, 802-496-6687
- Smuggler’s Notch: The best vacation value for family fun. Downhill, Cross country, snowshoe, skating.
1 hour. 4323 Vermont Rte. 108, So. Jeffersonville, VT 056464, 802-370-3186
- Suicide Six Ski Area: Easy riding terrain perfect for families and beginners. Rentals, repairs, and a cozy base lodge just steps from the slopes. Skiing and snowboarding. 1 hour. 247 Stage Road, South Pomfret, VT 05067, 802-457-6661