Discover Montpelier: For Beer Lovers
Curated by Three Penny Taproom
The Discover Montpelier series is sponsored by Capitol Plaza Hotel and Conference Center.
Vermont is known worldwide for its exceptional craft beer. Montpelier’s pedestrian-friendly and vibrant downtown offers the beer drinker a taste of Vermont’s finest brews, paired with exceptional eats and fun events. Planning a longer visit to Vermont? Make Montpelier your basecamp with a stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel and Conference Center. Some of the world’s best breweries are within an easy drive.
Where to Eat:
- Three Penny Taproom, 108 Main Street: Three Penny has been consistently recognized as one of the best beer bars in the country. The Boston Globe called it a “craft-beer mecca” with a “fresh approach to beer [and] excellent service.” 24 rotating taps offer an award-winning selection of craft beer featuring the freshest and most sought-after offerings from Vermont and around the world. Fresh, fun, and casual food is carefully crafted to pair with the beers. Try a TPT Burger, topped with pickled jalapenos and house-made peanut butter!
- The Mad Taco, 72 Main Street: Offering a small but well-thought-out selection of some of Vermont’s most sought-after craft beers, coupled with creative Mexican cuisine. Top your smoked pork taco with incendiary homemade hot sauces and cool the burn with a Hill Farmstead draft.
Where to Shop:
- Bear Naked Growler, 186 River Street: For your to-go draft beer needs, Bear Naked Growler offers 18 taps dedicated to filling growlers and crowlers as well as a wide selection of cans and bottles. Located just outside of downtown, with a beautiful river-front porch for your drinking pleasure.
- Uncommon Market, 1 School Street: At first glance, this may seem like an ordinary corner store, but upon entering you will find a carefully curated beer and wine selection. Pair your beer with a deli sandwich or a selection of house made meals. You can also build a cheese board from a local selection of artisan meats and cheeses.
- Hunger Mountain Coop, 623 Stone Cutters Way: Hunger Mountain Coop is a full-service natural foods grocery store and deli that has been owned by our community since 1972. It’s also home to an impressive beer selection from Vermont and beyond. Rated outstanding on BeerAdvocate, make a pilgrimage to the Coop and you may find a rare brew from Lawson’s Finest Liquids or The Alchemist. While picking up beer, consider browsing the amazing selection of local foods, including an outstanding cheese counter.
Where to Visit:
- Mountaineers Beer Garden, Baseball Drive: Nothing screams summer like a Vermont Mountaineers game. Historic Montpelier Recreation Field houses this collegiate summer baseball team, with games in June and July. One in four of these players will go on to play in the Major League. But today, it’s all about ballpark eats, running into neighbors and friends, and bringing your kids for the fun (or feeling like a kid again)! Sip on a local craft beer in the Beer Garden along the left field line while enjoying the game.
- Good Measure Brewing, 17 East Street, Northfield, VT: A quick 15-minute scenic jaunt to Northfield will take you to Good Measure Brewing, a small brewery that is always brewing new and exciting ales. Chat with the friendly staff, enjoy a beer, and don’t forget to bring a growler home with you!
Where to Stay:
The Capitol Plaza Hotel and Conference Center is the preferred lodging of Montpelier Alive. Located just steps from the historic State House and the vibrant downtown, the Capitol Plaza is a family-owned hotel that will exceed your needs for comfort and convenience.
Heady Topper is one of Vermont's best-known beers. With its limited distribution, it's a cult favorite that's on nearly every craft beer drinker's bucket list. Have no fear -- we can hook you up downtown!