Explore this section
Doing Business in Montpelier -Make Montpelier Your Home Base
High-speed broadband, top-rated schools, coffee shops, & restaurants serving local craft beer and farm-to-table food...
This is Montpelier.
A creative business community with wilderness & outdoor recreation at your fingertips, Montpelier is Vermont’s place for entrepreneurs to grow and develop businesses. There has never been a better time to bring your business, its employees and their families to the capital of Vermont.
Surrounded by green hills, Montpelier's downtown is iconic and vibrant. The Capital City is home to many thriving and independent local, regional and national businesses, wonderful schools and State Government offices. Montpelier is where your next venture will grow. If you are considering a move from out of state, there are currently incentives available for working remotely in Vermont, so the rest of your family can come along too.
Whether by plane, train, or automobile, Montpelier is easily accessible to Boston, Montreal, and NYC. The Port of Boston allows for easy shipments of products and the Burlington International Airport has a variety of direct flights.
As the smallest state capital in the United States, Montpelier's population is just under 8,000. Located in the Central Vermont region, Montpelier contributes over one-third of the 32,000 jobs in this region, pulling workforce from surrounding communities.
How We Can Help
- Connection to business advisory services and technical assistance
- Assistance with city permitting process and coordination with local officials
- Identification of available real estate and connections to local property owners and brokers
- Provide connections to local financing options
- Promotion of events and business announcements
The number of people who work in Montpelier
The proportion of residents with a bachelor's degree or higher
The median household income in Montpelier City.
Top Industries by Employment
- Finance & Insurance
- Retail Trade
- Health Care & Social Assistance
- Professional & Technical Services
- Other Services, except Public Administration
Top Industries by Proportion of Total Employment
- National Life Group
- State of Vermont
- Vermont Mutual Insurance Group
- Union Mutual of Vermont Companies
- Northfield Savings Bank
- Vermont State Employees Credit Union
- Capitol Plaza Hotel & Conference Center
- Vermont College of Fine Arts